About the Foundation
The Wegerzyn Gardens Foundation is dedicated to supporting the educational and horticultural programs and continued development of Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark. We do this primarily by conducting fundraising activities and offering a membership program, in addition to other sources of income.
Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark began in 1973 as the Benjamin Wegerzyn Horticultural Center and in 1995 became part of Five Rivers MetroParks. Today it is one of our region’s finest public gardens! It is free and open to the public virtually year-round. The park is located at 1301 E Siebenthaler Ave, Dayton, OH 45414. More information about Wegerzyn and its programs can be found at http://www.metroparks.org/wegerzyn.
Our foundation gives additional funding to Five Rivers MetroParks to enable enhancements to Wegerzyn’s facilities. Some examples include decorative commemorative benches on the Garden Green, new paver paths, and the construction and improvements of the award-winning Children’s Discovery Garden.
Our events and programs attract new visitors to enjoy the beauty and healthful benefits of Wegerzyn, and we’re working hard to promote its greater awareness throughout the tri-state region.
To conduct fundraising, increase awareness, and support the programs and continued development of Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark, a facility of Five Rivers MetroParks. A 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, we have been in operation for nearly 40 years.
Wegerzyn will be a conduit of community support enabling Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark to be a preeminent regional public garden that fosters personal connections to nature through horticulture.
The money that we raise through memberships, gifts, grants and special events supplements the operational funds provided by Five Rivers MetroParks, thereby enabling Wegerzyn to offer better programs and facilities. For example, we raised over half of the $2.5M needed to build the award-winning Children’s Discovery Garden.
Our foundation is an all-volunteer-led organization. We welcome new people and new ideas. Click here for information on volunteering with us. There may be a perfect place for you on our Board of Trustees, councils, or special committees.
Board of Trustees
Our foundation is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of:
- Council Chairs, Committee Chairs and At-Large Members
- Ex-officio members: Five Rivers MetroParks Executive Director and Five Rivers MetroParks Chief of Philanthropy
If you are interested in serving on the Board, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The foundation includes five councils:
- The Development Council manages our Legacy Society and other donor programs, coordinates major fundraising events, and oversees our Gift & Garden Shop.
- The Membership Development Council recruits members, defines member benefits, prepares and distributes member publications, and offers special members-only speaker events or garden tours.
- The Adult Education Council assists with programs, events and bus trips targeted to adult visitors.
- The Youth and Family Education Council assists with youth education programming including community outreach, speaker support, networking, sponsorships and evaluation.